we are a religiously-exempt preschool
Child care centers operated by religious institutions may be exempt from licensure, per § 63.2-1716 of the Code of Virginia, if the religious institutions submit certain documents to the Virginia Department of Social Services prior to opening the child day center and then annually prior to the expiration date of their exemption.
This doesn't mean we operate without guidelines, however. Each staff member has undergone a background check and taken extra training to ensure the well-being of our youngest students. A daily health screening takes place at the start of each day for all students.
Children may be enrolled in Pre-school if they are three years old and potty trained (see below).
Additionally, we have the following readiness checklist for students entering Pre-school:
- Potty trained: able to pull clothes up and down by self to use the bathroom; able to verbalize a need to use the bathroom, go to the restroom, and get up and off toilet by self. (It is a given that at this age accidents will occasionally happen, that they may need help with wiping, and also with buttons, zippers, etc.).
- Ability to handle verbal correction from the teacher or other adults
- Ability to handle redirection
- Manageable separation anxiety from parents or caregiver
- Ability to follow basic verbal directions
- Ability to communicate and interact with peers on a basic, functional, age-appropriate level
Pre-K Supply List
*Please label items marked with an asterisk with child's name
- 1 water bottle* (Please label)
- 1 box of tissues
- 1 box of CRAYOLA colored pencils
- 1 full set of clothes (shirt, pants, underwear, socks) in a bag*
- 1 small blanket and pillow*
- 2 Large bags of baby wipes
- 1 backpack* (large enough to fit regular papers)
- $10 supply fee (payable to SVAE)
- Red field trip shirt (order at the front office)